Our Licensed Home Child Care program takes pride in offering a community based, family centred program to parents and children ages 6 weeks to12 years of age. Whether parents are looking for care in their neighbourhood or en route to school or work, the Children’s Village works in partnership with parents to offer and secure the best child care arrangement with Licensed Home Child Care Providers affiliated with our agency. Our team of qualified Child Care Advisors monitor care on an ongoing bases by completing unscheduled visits to ensure the Ministry of Education’s standards for safety and quality care, as outlined in the Child Care and Early Years act (CCEYA), are being met.
Care is offered with providers from across the city in Wards 1-Orleans, 3-Barrhaven, 6-Stittsville, 7-Bay, 8-College, 9-Knoxdale/Merivale, 10-Gloucester/Southgate, 14-Centretown/Somerset, 15-Kitchissippi, 16-River, 17-Glebe/Dow’s Lake, 20-Osgoode, 22-Gloucester/South Nepean and 23-Kanata South.
Subsidies are available through the City of Ottawa.
Why Choose Licensed Home Child Care?
Our Licensed Home Child Care program offers families the option of child care in a safe and nurturing home setting. Families enrolled in our program enjoy, flexible hours and varied age groupings, giving the opportunity to have siblings in care together. Our dedicated Licensed Child Care Providers, with the support of our professional team of Child Care Advisors, ensure children receive early learning opportunities in a stimulating environment that meets the Ministry of Education’s standard of safety and quality care as outlined in the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA). At the Children`s Village, we work in partnership with both parents and providers to ensure the best individualized care plan can be developed for each child and family.
Benefits of Licensed Home Child Care
For the Children:
- Smaller, comfortable, family style setting
- Varied age groupings allowing siblings to be in care together
- Smaller ratios (maximum of 6 children, including provider’s own children under 6, with a maximum of 3 under 2 years of age).
- Close relationships with the other children and provider
- Many caregivers take the children on outings to playgroups and community centres in the area, including outdoor events that are hosted by the Children’s Village Advisors
For the Parents:
- Flexible hours for shift workers
- Advisor to assist with matching and interview process as well as ongoing communication with the Provider and families
- Provider has regular access to resources and support they need to provide the best possible care for your child and family
- Alternate care options if needed
- All homes are regularly monitored for a safe and nurturing environment
Securing a Child Care Arrangement – “A Partnership”
All Licensed Home Child Care Providers with the Children’s Village are carefully screened, approved and monitored by the agency’s highly qualified Child Care Advisors. Providers that are affiliated with the agency must meet the requirements of the Child Care Early Years Act. Providers must provide the agency with a Police Vulnerable Sectors Check, up to date Immunization record, Standard First Aid/CPR and references. Our Child Care Advisors provide training and support to our Licensed Child Care providers to ensure a fun, exciting and developmentally appropriate program consisting of both indoor and outdoor activities for the children in care.
The agency Child Care Advisor meets with parents before securing a LIcensed Home Child Care Provider to help make the best match possible for their child care arrangement. The child care arrangement between parent, provider and agency Child Care Advisor becomes a partnership working to offer the best child care arrangement for your child/children. Once care has commenced, the Child Care Advisor monitors the child care arrangement and the development of each child in the home. They provide support and resources to both parents and providers based on the individual family needs.
Licensed Child Care Providers have access to support and training from the Children’s Village in the areas of:
- Child development;
- Early Learning for Every Child Today (ELECT): A Framework for Ontario Early Childhood Settings;
- How Does Learning Happen? (HDLH): Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years;
- Child guidance;
- Menu planning;
- Activity planning;
- Standard First Aid and CPR;
- Access to city wide workshops and seminars.