A Distinguished History
The Children’s Village has a long and distinguished history of caring for Ottawa’s children. Established in 1864 as a home for orphans, it has responded over the years to the changing needs of children and their families in the community.
During its first century, this charitable, non-profit organization operated an orphanage, an infants’ home, a children’s hospital, and a group day care centre. For a time, it also offered shelter to “friendless gentlewomen” and the elderly who had neither the means nor the family to support themselves. However, no matter what need it was striving to meet, it has always worked to create an environment that was “the next best thing to being home.” Children’s Village today, under the direction of their Board of Directors, continues to offer innovative programs in the community which benefit the children and families.